Almond Milk can be a refreshing, nutritious alternative to cow milk. However; it is equally important to choose aquality product.
Besides being packaged in BPA lined boxes that fill our wastelands, packaged Almond Milk often contains several toxic ingredients.
- Tricalcium Phosphate is used as a synthetic source of calcium and phosphorus
- Potassium Citrate is an alkalizing agent that prevents loss of the synthetic calcium.
- Xanthum gum is produced by fermenting corn sugars, often GMO. It is used as a stabilizer, thickener and gelling agent. It can cause digestive symptoms in people who are allergic to it.
- Lecithin is an emulsifier to keep things suspended, preventing settling. Usually this comes from GMO soy.
- Vitamin A, D, and E are often extracted from less than desirable sources, and since they are fat soluble, they are only as good as the fats they come with.
- Carageenan is a highly refined seaweed extract, and is a trigger food for so many people’s digestive complaints.
- A lot of Almond milks are unnecessarily sweetened.
Making Almond Milk fresh at home is easy, and helps your body to naturally absorb the quality nutrients. Here’s how to make your own:
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 4 cups of water, plus more for soaking
- 1 tsp sea salt
1. Place almonds in a mixing bowl and cover with water and sea salt. Let sit for at least 6 hours.
2. Strain and rinse almonds. Put in a blender with 4 cups of water. Blend for a full 2 minutes.
3. Strain the blended mixture into a quart-size canning jar using a fine sieve. Cheesecloth works great. Press the solids through with a rubber spatula.
4. Scrape the solids from the sieve (save them for smoothies) and rinse the sieve to enable more liquid to pass through.
5. Strain the first liquid through the sieve again, this time without pushing the mixture through. What you end up with in that jar is your finished product – DIY Almond Milk!
6. You may add a spoonful of raw honey if sweetness is desired. A few drops of natural vanilla will enhance the flavor.
7. Refrigerate to enjoy within 5 days.